UN condemns Saudis for slaughtering Yemeni women and kids

(AGI) Sanaa, Sept 29 - The UN accused a Saudi-led air strike inYemen of slaughtering women and children attending a weddingparty. The provisional death toll is 130. "If the figures areas high as reported, it could be the deadliest single incidentsince the start of the country's civil war," said RupertColville, spokesman for the Office of the United Nations HighCommissioner for Human Rights, during a press briefing inGeneva on Tuesday. News of the bombing had been released onMonday by official local sources and residents. The massacreoccurred in the village of Wahijah, near

(AGI) Sanaa, Sept 29 - The UN accused a Saudi-led air strike inYemen of slaughtering women and children attending a weddingparty. The provisional death toll is 130. "If the figures areas high as reported, it could be the deadliest single incidentsince the start of the country's civil war," said RupertColville, spokesman for the Office of the United Nations HighCommissioner for Human Rights, during a press briefing inGeneva on Tuesday. News of the bombing had been released onMonday by official local sources and residents. The massacreoccurred in the village of Wahijah, near the port town ofAl-Mokha. The Saudi-led Sunni coalition against Yemen's HouthiShiite movement denied any involvement in the shelling. "Thecoalition did not conduct any air strikes in the area over thepast three days," said a spokesperson of the coalition, GeneralAhmed al-Assiri. "This is completely false," he said. Sourcesin Riyadh urged an independent inquiry to shed light on theincident, which was also condemned by the UN Secretary General,Ban Ki-moon. "Thanks to satellite images we can prove that wedid not overfly the area," the sources said. Since thebeginning of military operations against the Houthi rebels,humanitarian organisations have harshly criticised the Sunniair strikes for allegedly indiscriminately targetingnon-military objectives. (AGI) .