F1: Alonso initially lost 20 years' memory post-crash

(AGI) Madrid, Mar 5 - Fernando Alonso lost the memory of thelast 20 years of his life for a week after his accident duringtesting at MontMelo on Feb. 22, according to Spanish newspaperEl Pais. The paper reported that doctors became awareimmediately that the Spanish McLaren driver had lost hismemory. He told them he was Fernando, drove go-karts and hopedto become a Formula One driver, showing that his memory hadstopped at 1995, well before his career as a racing driver, his2005 and 2006 World Championship victories for Renault and histime with Ferrari.

(AGI) Madrid, Mar 5 - Fernando Alonso lost the memory of thelast 20 years of his life for a week after his accident duringtesting at MontMelo on Feb. 22, according to Spanish newspaperEl Pais. The paper reported that doctors became awareimmediately that the Spanish McLaren driver had lost hismemory. He told them he was Fernando, drove go-karts and hopedto become a Formula One driver, showing that his memory hadstopped at 1995, well before his career as a racing driver, his2005 and 2006 World Championship victories for Renault and histime with Ferrari. He recovered his full memory after a week,although tests showed no signs of brain damage. El Pais said itremained to be seen whether Alonso had become unwell in therun-up to the accident, or whether his amnesia had been causedby crashing out of the circuit due to a technical malfunction.He will not take part in the Australian Grand Prix on Mar. 15,but is reported to have his sights set on the second GP of theseason, in Sepang. (AGI). .